Wednesday, February 8, 2017

The Fisherman and His Life


Perhaps
it was due to overwhelming melancholy
the fisherman walked down to the river
for a temporary rest

Perhaps, it was because the reeds
saw the footprints of the fisherman
seagulls made decision
to fly away from
noisy and madding crowd

Someone recalled the life under water
was like fish’s murmurs
vague and ephemeral;
someone also recalled
the life of fisherman -
fishing all day,
packing up net,
walking along river,
conversing
with rocks behind the reeds

Someone believed,
that the reeds overheard the conversation
but words were obscure
like sand grains
mixed with bubbles of tide waves

Perhaps, it was due to the wind,
the reeds never heard
what fisherman said
Perhaps
it was because fishing net
blocked the view
the reeds did not see
what really happened
to the fisherman
and his life




The Fisherman, printmaking, Max Kurzweil

*Translated /re-wrote from my early Chinese poem.

-----------------------------------------
打鱼人的生世

也许是 河边的枯草
不经意地
记下了打鱼人的脚印
江鸥 才飞过了许多
模糊的人迹 

有人回忆 
许多年前的水中生活 
就像是鱼 说一些 
转瞬即逝的梦语 

也许是 
像树叶一样多的忧郁 
盖满了眼睛 
疲倦的腿 
才去江边歇息 

有人回忆 
多少年后的打鱼人 
收起渔网 
空着笆篓踏过鹅卵石 
枯草听见他们对话 
像涨潮时的泡沫 
翻卷出的沙子 

也许是因为渔网 
挡住了视线 
枯草才不再回过头 
去看渔网后的天空 
也许是因为 
没有风 
吹散树叶 
枯草在石头后面 
 什么也看不清

16 comments:

  1. Very poignant write... I very much enjoyed the sensibility on display here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Words were obscure like sand grains....." The fisherman's life is simple, yet a mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this.. and what a wonderful way to present it in two languages.

    There is a dreamy quality of the reed's perspective, and there is a story not told but that I sense about the fisherman... a little bit like everyone of us trying to understand another person's life by observing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed the poem and the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is wonderful writing. I think you have captured the fishermen in a way that only one who KNOWS fishermen can!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a poem to think about, to read again and continue to imagine what lies behind the passing of the fisherman. Really enjoyed this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The poem leaves me wondering what we take up of life from our limited vantage -- what can we know, with just these five sense?

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful sad poem this is; A delight to read.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank all of you for wonderful comments. Really a big encouragement for my English writing. I wish you all happy holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was a fascinating rewrite Yun Yi, thank you for sharing it..

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is beautiful! I love "words were obscure like sand grains mixed with bubbles of tide waves."


    ReplyDelete
  12. i always envy those writers who can write well in Chinese and English, especially in poetry. My biggest regret is that I could not read and write well in Chinese. Well, there's nobody to blame but myself. :)
    Enjoyed reading your poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No need to regret. I myself write less and less in Chinese. And many of my Chinese poems seem better after they were translated in English.
      Well, just my personal experience. I know we are all different.
      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  13. Yun, your poem is quietly powerful and evocative; I really love the way you crafted it. Your perfect placement of “perhaps” and “someone” causes the reader to pause and reflect. I can easily envision the fisherman and everything around him, and wonder about his life. Beautifully done! I like the Max Kurzweil painting too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Madilyn, I wrote Chinese version 30 years ago and I was surprised myself where did those words come from.
      I appreciate your insightful comment. They mean a lot to me. Thank you!

      Delete